Wake Endoscopy Logo

Gastroenterology FAQs

Learn more about gastroenterology and gastroenterologists by reading through the FAQs below. If you have more specific questions about what Wake Endoscopy Center can do for you, please contact us to talk to a team member.
What is a Gastroenterologist?
A gastroenterologist is a doctor who has had extensive education and certification in diagnosing and treating conditions in the digestive system, also known as the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. The physicians at Wake Endoscopy Center are all board-certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) and specialize in different areas of digestive health.
What Parts of the Body are in the GI Tract?
The gastrointestinal (GI) tract, or digestive system, is a series of organs that make up the passageway from the mouth to the anus. The organs of the GI tract are: • Mouth • Esophagus • Stomach • Small intestine • Large intestine/colon • Liver • Gallbladder • Pancreas
What are Some Common GI Conditions?
There are many conditions that may affect the GI system. The experts and Wake Endoscopy Center diagnose and treat patients with: • Abdominal Pain • GERD/Heartburn • Indigestion • Hiatal Hernia • Stomach Ulcer • Swallowing Disorders • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) • Constipation/Diarrhea • Ulcerative Colitis • Crohn’s Disease • Gallbladder Disease • Liver Disease • Hepatitis • Pancreatitis • Pancreatic Masses/Cysts • Bile Duct Diseases • Bile Duct Stones
What Kind of Tests and Procedures Do Gastroenterologists Perform?
Gastroenterologists perform a number of tests to diagnose illnesses in the GI tract. The types of tests performed at Wake Endoscopy Center include: • Gastrointestinal Endoscopy • Pillcam Endoscopy • Colonoscopy • Colon Cancer Screening • Fibroscans/Liver Elastography • Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) • Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) • Colon polyp removal/polypectomy • Tissue biopsies • Minimally invasive surgery
When Should I See a Gastroenterologist?
If you are over 50 or at an elevated risk for colon cancer, you should see a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy or colon cancer screening. You may also need to see a gastroenterologist if you are suffering from the symptoms of a GI disorder. Symptoms of GI conditions include: • Abdominal pain • Cramping • Frequent or persistent nausea • Acid reflux/heartburn • Sudden changes in bowel movements • Sudden weight loss or weight gain